Access our annual activity report 2016 here
CEBRA’s mission is to encourage applied and theoretical research on topics relevant to central banks, financial regulators, international financial institutions, and fiscal authorities, as well as to connect the research staff of these institutions with academia. Currently, CEBRA connects researchers from around 60 central banks, IFIs, and academic institutions.
CEBRA organizes an annual meeting:
- The 2016 annual meeting was held at Norges Bank on August 16 and focused on macroprudential policies and financial stability.
- The 2017 annual meeting is hosted by the Bank of Canada and took place during July 20-21 in Ottawa, Canada. The 2017 meeting features six sessions jointly organized by CEBRA and the Bank of Canada. Further, the meeting features special sessions organized by the Bank for International Settlements, the International Monetary Fund, and the World Bank, as well as an invited session organized by the National Bureau of Economic Research.
- The 2018 annual meeting will be hosted by Goethe University Frankfurt. The meeting will feature 20 regular sessions, several high-level plenary sessions organised by IMF, FSB, and Bundesbank, as well as a keynote Speech by Jens Weidmann. More information will follow soon.
Second, CEBRA is developing research programs on policy relevant research topics. Fabio Ghironi is the Director of the ITM research program on the nexus between international trade and macroeconomics. A kick-off research event of this program did take place during the summer of 2016 at the Bank of Lithuania, and the 2017 edition will take place at the Banca d’Italia. Galina Hale is the Director of the IFM research program on the nexus between international finance and macroeconomics, which will hold its inaugural conference at the Bank of England in the fall of 2017.
Third, CEBRA also aims to host/co-organize academic sessions at the annual meetings of leading associations in economics and finance. Our current cooperations are with the Asian Bureau of Economic and Finance Research (ABFER) and with the Western Economic Association International (WEAI). Each year, CEBRA is organizing a session at ABFER’s annual meeting and between four to six sessions at the WEAI annual meeting. Please contact us in case you represent an association or organization and would like to partner with us.
Last, CEBRA hosts an information service collecting all research events that are of specific interest to the members of CEBRA (research conferences, calls for submissions on specific subjects by well-established journals, calls to participate in central bank research networks, and information on select courses). Posting on our list is free and open to everyone, but only postings that:
– are thematically of core relevance for CEBRA’s members,
– are non-commercial in nature,
– and have been posted by an institution with a well-established track record,
will be published and distributed.
CEBRA is an independent scientific organization open to academicians and practitioners working on topics of interest to central banks, financial regulators, international financial institutions, and fiscal authorities. CEBRA operates as a not-for-profit organization based in Switzerland, an association as defined by and subject to the Swiss civil code applying to associations (“Verein”); part one, title two, chapter two. Its bylaws can be accessed here.
CEBRA has been granted the status of Tax Exempt Association by the Canton of Basel City. Donations to CEBRA are thus tax-exempt under Swiss law (both at the Federal and Cantonal level).
CEBRA’s secretariat and research events are financed by voluntary contributions by central banks and international organizations. Our list of partners can be found here.
The secretariat of the Central Bank Research Association (CEBRA) is hosted by the Chair of Macroeconomics at the University of Basel. Its postal and physical address is:
Central Bank Research Association
University of Basel, Faculty of Business and Economics
Chair of Macroeconomics, Office 4.38
Peter Merian-Weg 6
4002 Basel, Switzerland